Thursday, January 24, 2008

Oh Frabjous Day! Callooh, Callay!

I have been looking forward to this weekend for months. Included in the weekend is tonight (I know, it's cheating a little) because that when the unofficial kick-off of the fun starts.

What is so special about this weekend? I'm so glad you asked! This weekend it the Utah Lindy Exchange. What this means is there is lots of dancing all weekend. I am especially excited about Saturday night- New Deal Swing is the band at that dance. New Deal was founded by the Utah Symphony's principal clarinetist and is comprised of Utah Symphony members. Just going on that, it can be assumed that they would be pretty darn good. I've heard them play a couple times and I have to say they rock... er... swing... jive.... they are quite awesome.

ULX doesn't officially start until Friday, but tonight is the UofU Swing Club's Big Band Bash. It's a big pre-exchange hoopla (and by hoopla I mean dance). So tonight is the night to dust off my dancing shoes (figuratively. I actually will probably just wear chucks as they are pretty easy to dance in. I do have dancing shoes that have been sitting in shoe box for a while but might still be a little dusty. They're not very comfortable though. Maybe I'll wear them sometime this weekend. I also have saddle shoes that should be danced in, yeah? I might drag those out on Saturday. Note to self: your parenthetical asides are WAY TOO FREEKING LONG) and get this party started.

For those of you who are perhaps still scratching your head about what Lindy-Hop is (or are wondering how truly awesome it actually is), chizzeck the shizzle outta this:



Of course, those kids are pros. And champs. Here's a video from a Chicago exchange, it's pretty good (I covet the tall blonde's skirt):



It's a little weird with the four guys there, but hey, it's still good dancing. And finally, if you've never seen the movie Swing Kids, you should. I mean, really, it's got Christian Bale, great dancing, and great music. What more could you want? Oh yeah, it's a good story too.



Of course, I only wish I was half as good as some of the kids in these videos (the movie one cheats, what with being fully choreographed and all). I like to think I'm not bad though, and it's tons-o-fun in any case.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember to use 'The Sprinkler', and 'The Lawn Mower'. Then throw in a little 'Grocery Cart' near the end to leave 'em wanting more.

-Rusty

Cassie the Great said...

No no no, Rusty. It's all about the running man!

Anonymous said...

The Running Man? Arnold Schwarzenegger and Stephen King were there?

- Rusty

Cassie the Great said...

You are confused.
Ah youtube, brining terrible dances to the masses: clicky

Anonymous said...

That guy was terrible. That move looks better in some of the other videos. Is that what cool kids are doing now, along with the 'T' and the Melbourne Shuffle?

I don't remember seeing any of those moves in the movie ... perhaps if they do a remake ...

Cassie the Great said...

That guy was very terrible, but it is a terrible dance. That's kind of the point.

Anonymous said...

Yes terrible. It seems popular though. I haven't been to a dance club in years. Is that what they are doing now?

-Rusty

Cassie the Great said...

I'm not sure it was ever really "what they were doing." I've never seen it done except in jest

My Amazon.com Wish List

2007 Banned Books Week: Ahoy! Treasure Your Freedom to Read and Get Hooked on a Banned Book