Tuesday, August 08, 2006

(highlight to read)

This is just going to be silly questioning/rantage. Yes, I know most of this blog is nothing more than a bunch of silliness, but I still thought you deserved a warning. And, as you might have noticed, I have written in an impossible to read without highlighting color. You see, not all my threats are empty. Moving on to my useless wondering:

Why is it that we always have to label the relationships we have with people. I really think that it might be a quasi subconcious thing sometimes. Pay attention though. Suppose Person A is talking to Person C about Person B (this only happens if C doesn't know B). Person A will always refer to Person B by their relationship. For example:

Person C: Wow, I really like deep fried pickles!
Person A: That's funny because my friend, Person B, hates cheese.

For another example:

Person C: Gee-Wiz, juggling knives while putting on lipstick and petting a cute, cuddly kitten sure is a hard thing to do.
Person A: It wouldn't be if you had mad skills like Napoleon Dynamite. Person B, my coworker, didn't see that movie.

Why can we not talk about people we know without the little clause indicating their relationship with us? Even if it's just "this guy I know," which doesn't really clarify anything and could be just left as whatever the guy's name is. I think it should be Guy, just for confusions sake.

Those of you who know me probably know exactly why I'm lashing out against labels today. You all know that I don't do well with one in particular. And if you really want to avoid using that one, it gets to be very difficult when you are talking to people about whoever you are kinda-sorta-dating-but-not-seriously-and-certainly-not-seriously-enough-that-you-want-to-call-him-your-boyfriend-but -definately-serious-enough-that-you-can't-really-just-call-him-your-friend. This is all just a hypothetical example, of course. And for those of you who may or may not know better, goody for you.

No comments:

My Amazon.com Wish List

2007 Banned Books Week: Ahoy! Treasure Your Freedom to Read and Get Hooked on a Banned Book