Friday, April 27, 2007

Today's Forcast is Blueberries

There comes a time in every girl's life when she has to ask herself, "What 5 songs would be the most tubular songs ever for karaoke?" (apparently she has to speak 80s when she asks)

I've never done karaoke myself (as a service to the planet, believe me). And I believe that the quintisential karaoke songs should be ones that most people wouldn't think of and that lend themselves to total embarassment of the singer.

This is what I would answer:

"It's the End of the World" by REM -thoroughly impossible to sing all the lyrics but it would kick ass if you could. And it would kick ass seeing the karaoke kids try to hit all the lyrics. Awesome.

"Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads - really, anything by the Talking Heads would be fun. Their songs don't make much sense, but you don't really need to be able to SING to sing them. And Psycho Killer has French bits. Anything French is fun!

"ADIDAS" by Korn - It cracks me up. And how much fun is it to sing about nothing but sex? Come on, shake those karaoke singing grandma's up a bit. It'll do them good to be a little shocked. (for those of you thinking: "how many grandma's do karaoke? I thought it was a younger people thing. Like something you 20-30 somethings do in bars." You should probably should take a moment to think before you think something.)

"Woo Hoo" by the 5 6 7 8s - for those who are extremely lyricly challenged.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen - This is actually what started it all. This was on somebody's (I don't remember who or how I heard about it) list of the best karaoke songs because it's a great song to do in a group and it has something for everyone: a little rock, a little opera, a little... Freddie Mercury. I thought: That's dumb. There's no way a human being, especially a drunk one, can hit the high notes in that. Man, this would be awesome to see.

So that is my list. I think someday I should go to a karaoke bar and fix it so that people have to sing these songs. I'm sure it would be the raddest thing ever, dude.

No comments:

My Amazon.com Wish List

2007 Banned Books Week: Ahoy! Treasure Your Freedom to Read and Get Hooked on a Banned Book