Thursday, June 19, 2008

I Guess It's About Time

I meant to blog about stuff earlier this week, just didn't get around to it. So here's a quick catch up.

Last weekend I went camping with my dear ol' dad. We went down to Grand Staircase... somewhere a few miles outside Escalante. I could show you on a map if I really concentrated, but I really don't know where exactly we were. It was really nice to get out of the city and into the desert. I've been wanting to go for a while.

The reason we went where we did was that Dad stumbled upon this spot in March. Just a short way below our campsite is a spot of sandstone kind of simiar to The Wave in Coyote Buttes... near the UT/AZ border. Or at least that's what I've been told. I've never been to The Wave myself. But the stuff we had was pretty neat. Here, look at some pictures:
















Kinda neat, eh?


We hiked about 8 miles on Saturday- went past the pseudo-wave thing down into Phipps Wash to Phipps Arch. It was lovely, but we were hiking in deep sand the whole time. That's not really the most fun thing to do. I figured out why about half way through. When you're hiking in sand like that, it makes you feel like your legs are shorter than they are. Your stride gets super short and with each step you move considerably less far than you're used to. It's frustrating.

Speaking of sand, Dad managed to get the car stuck. We tried just about everything we could to get it out. Eventually we had to call a tow truck (I should thank Verizon for actually having service out in the middle of nowhere... kind of. And AAA for sending a truck out to the middle of nowhere) to get pulled out of the sand. Here's a video of that:



It's not nearly as fun as I hoped it would be. But you can see it was quite the endeavor to get the car out of the sand.

Sunday we packed up camp and drove to Bicknell to do a little bike ride. The plan was to get 35 miles in, but we took a wrong turn and ended up only going 20.

All in all, I'd say it was a pretty good weekend.

No comments:

My Amazon.com Wish List

2007 Banned Books Week: Ahoy! Treasure Your Freedom to Read and Get Hooked on a Banned Book