Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Moving Foward Using All my Breath

I'm rocking out to the hits of the eighties today at work. Why? Because they rock. And because on my way back from lunch I pulled up next to a car that was playing Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode and it got stuck in my head.

This week random songs have very easily lodged themselves in my brain in such a way that they stay there for hours. Earlier I read something stupid on some webpage or another about the Backstreet Boys that casually (in a sarcastic sort of way) mentioned their song "I Want it That Way." I am loathe to admit it, but I didn't totally hate the Backstreet Boys back in Jr High. Apparently somewhere deep in my subconcious the thirteen-year-old me lurks still listening to the music of decades past. I was appalled to find out that, not only did I remember the tune of that horrible ditty, but I actually know most of the words.

I'm afraid I have now lost all musical credibility. I hang my head in shame, and protest: I have good stuff on my i-pod, really! I swear I have good taste! The music I listen to is edgy, eclectic, unique and... not by pop tarts.

Isn't it sad though that so much of my memory is taken up by lyrics to horrible pop songs? That may be one of the worst side-effects of high school. It was impossible to avoid hearing a number of songs that are just dreadful. Not only was I not old enough to have more discerning taste, but I still listened to the radio and went places (like school dances) where the featured entertainment was top 40 tripe. I also have a tendency to remember lyrics really easily. Especially with pop songs with their simple verses. There is probably a dusty part of my brain that still knows every word to "Ooops I did it Again" and every single song by the Spice Girls that got radio play. It's not my fault. I blame the goat!

At least now I know better. And I only dance around and sing along to the Spice Girls when I'm sure no one is looking.

7 comments:

veganaron said...

It's ok, I cop to the same thing. I know most of the lyrics to "Opps I did it again" because I dated a girl when that came out that sung it once and I kinda go turned on... I WAS 16! I could get turned on by a lovely lady talking about toasters.

Cassie the Great said...

That's awesome. I feel much better now. I was never turned on by that music.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. I think veganaron shared too much. 'toasters'? I hope they were at least six-slice toasters, with the handy selector buttons for different kinds of bread.

On the music: there was a lot of good music back then, and bad music, and music that we thought was good but is embarrasing to listen to now - like "I Can't Get Enough of You" with it's lame synthesizer solos. Ugh.

-Rusty

Cassie the Great said...

I live for lame synth solos! Not because they have any redemable musical quality, but because they make me laugh.

I think maybe I should get Mr Vegan a toaster for christmas.

veganaron said...

No I already have a toaster, a girlfriend would be good thou.

Cassie the Great said...

Shipping for a girlfriend is awfully high though.

veganaron said...

Yeah but we're friends, I'll find you a nice Evergreen boy. :D

My Amazon.com Wish List

2007 Banned Books Week: Ahoy! Treasure Your Freedom to Read and Get Hooked on a Banned Book