Friday, February 01, 2008

Bucket Shmucket

What is with all the "bucket lists" that are showing up all over the webnets now?

Perhaps that's the wrong question to ask. I get that it's from that movie (that I don't want to see) where Jack Nicholson and Morgan Feeman play a couple of old dudes who are going to die so they do stuff. I can kind of see the appeal of thinking about what you want to do before you "kick the bucket." Is it some sort of viral marketing whatever for the movie? If it is, I still don't really want to see it.

What all these "bucket lists" really are (especially the "bucket list 2008 meme" which is a list of shit you want to get done in 2008) are cutesy new year's resolutions. I would be willing to bet most people will put off the things on their lists until they're much, much closer to dying than they are now. And maybe by then, they wont even really want to do some of the things anyway. Or they will have done them without the list in mind.

And if you finish your "bucket list" before you're 30, does that mean you can go ahead and die? Or do you have to start a new bucket list? If you keep starting new bucket lists, does that mean you can never die because you will have unfinished business still? I guess that wont really stop you from getting dead. So you'll end up as a ghost because you still haven't crossed off the last three things on your 14th bucket list. Oh No!

Forget the fucking lists people. Just live life as best you can. If the opportunity to do something amazing shows up, take advantage of that moment. Grab life by the balls and go for it. Who needs a list?

4 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

I will try to be witty: Buckets are best for leaky ceilings and vomit. TA DA!!
Hello. I am starting a 100 Chronic Illness Blogs list on my blog, may I add yours?
email me stellarlife@yahoo.com

http://dj-astellarlife.blogspot.com/

Dave said...

What about all of us who already had a "bucket list" several years ago and now just have to put up with a silly movie exploiting them?

Cassie the Great said...

As long as you don't call it a "bucket list" I think I might be ok with it. In fact, to be fair, I think I have a "list of things to do before I die" that I wrote in high-school. I wonder where that is.... I only remember one item on the list: Own a 1957, sea-foam green, convertable, Chevy Bel Air.

For the most part though, I think the lists are silly. And I'd much rather just DO whatever it is I want to add to my "bucket list" than write it on the list.

Cassie the Great said...

... and Diane: sure, go ahead and put me on the list (muahahaha my plan to slowly take over the blogosphere and then the world will be one step closer to fruition)

My Amazon.com Wish List

2007 Banned Books Week: Ahoy! Treasure Your Freedom to Read and Get Hooked on a Banned Book